Saturday, April 19, 2008

SAMOA PROTESTS AGAINST Right Hand Drive Change



Samoa has spoken against the proposed changes made to changing road rules in a 20,000 strong protest march this week. What will the Samoan government do. I recall watching an hilarious debate last year between PM Tuilaepa and Toleafoa Toailoa about the pros and cons of changing to the right hand side of the road.
I remember Toailoa back in my university days - he was the only Samoan married student on campus, a diligent student and a talented musician, and then I discovered he was also known as Romero. How time moves on ..., now he's at the forefront of the anti- RHD protests.
Which ever way the government wind blows on this issue - it cannot ignore the 20,000 voices that marched this week in Samoa. For my opinion - I would say leave things as they are. What is there to be gained from changing the road rules but more expense to the general population in Samoa. Anyway the US dollar will continue to fall so Samoa will still benefit in the long run.